Whenever I get addicted to a game, I inevitably start wondering if I can create mods for the game. Sometimes it’s possible, sometimes not. So the last couple of months I tried:
I created a really simple application based on the Eclipse Example Application that is able to split MP4 Videos at their chapter markers.
While the application itself is small (and maybe only useful for me and my friends), I tried to create it as professionally as possible, so it has:
- a user manual
- a developer guide
- a test plan
- tests of all necessary phases (unit, integration, acceptance)
- a CI server
I’m pretty proud of how it turned out, so check it out.
While there seem to be a couple of projects that use Eclipse as a framework to deploy applications, there are very little that use actual target platforms for some reason. Most want you to download and install a custom Eclipse just to deploy a specific snapshot of their application (example: DBeaver).
I personally want to have a nice, reproducable build that uses the same code in my IDE as while packaging JARs, so I created an example application using a target platform file: example-eclipse-application
I even managed to use plain Maven dependencies (even if they’re not OSGi bundles) in that reactor!
(This showed a couple of bugs with the Random and Charts Frameworks, but I guess that’s life. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ )
Over the holidays I had a couple of hours and started a Java project to displays charts. The end goal is to display electropherogram, but it’s going to be a long bumpy road until I get there.
Right now the API can display charts like these:
A lot happened the last couple months, I just forgot to mention it.
Afterwards I was ready to tackle some programming exercises. I plan to give some of these to my trainees at work.
Finally I created my first npm module qunit-reporter, which surprisingly is a module to generate reports from QUnit.
Short update, because I’m still working on it (even though I now believe I’ve taken on more than I can chew.
The maven-php-plugin builds nicely. And I’m on the documentation. However it doesn’t work yet. Which means I need to fix the tests (probably). Which means I need to upload the PHP phars somewhere. Which means…
In short: there is still so much to do. And I have no idea how much. ?
Just in a couple of days I found a lot of awesome GitHub features. Projects were one.
Tasks are another one. They are added to issues and appear on the issue overview like this:
And a third (and maybe the greatest one) is the Travis integration:
Not only does the issue show all its commits, it shows which commits broke the build (and after which the build still worked). Awesome for debugging! I love it. ❤
The last two features can be viewed on issue #5, if you are interested.
So I got bored and decided I want to see if I can create a plug-in for WordPress (this entire page runs on WordPress). So I did. It was pretty easy actually. So I tried to get it to WordPress’s release repository. Same. So…
I hate JavaFX now. In the past I liked it, because I liked the design and everything about it. Now with Java 11 it’s so ridiculous hard to build an application, that I’ll just stop doing it. However… I updated the JavaFX / Maven Example:
I think the only fun part here is that the branches for Java 7 and Java 8 are still present. But that’s just me.
Before all this started, I had an Eclipse repository with 3 (or so) plug-ins. I hated most of them. And even with that few plug-ins I learned why it’s a good idea to have one repository per plug-in: issues and commits where scrambled, and the lifecycle did not work at all.
So I cleaned it all up. Deleted all but one plug-in. Made it work even better with Tycho. And separated the update site.
Problem is: I did not get Tycho to release the plug-in, even though it should work. (-> Issue #15) On the side of the update side there are no categories anymore. (-> Issue #2) Both was deemed “good enough” for now, since even the internet can’t help my any more.
So, here it is: